Melt and pour soap can be fragranced with both essential oils as well as fragrance oils. It retains fragrance very well and the fragrance or essential oils don’t affect the behaviour or performance of the soap.
Fragrance oils are synthetic man-made aromatic ingredients that are used to scent soap and other products. Sometimes they can even contain natural essential oils.
Fragrancing with fragrance oils:
- Always check the manufacturers recommended usage rates for safety.
- Always make sure that the fragrance oils you are using is skin/body safe.
- Note that fragrance oils are not natural, it is manufactured in a lab… but also remember just because something is not natural, it doesn’t mean it is harmful to you, but keep a look out for skin sensitivities.
- Fragrance oils can cause a clear melt and pour soap to become a little cloudy, but it’s not noticeable when you add colourants.
- Vanilla based fragrance oils can turn brown over time due to vanillin content.
- Unlike in cold process soaps, fragrance oils don’t have any affect on the behaviour of the soap as you work with it.
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants. The oils capture the plant’s scent and flavor, or “essence.” Unique aromatic compounds give each essential oil its characteristic essence.
Fragrancing with Essential oils:
- Always check the manufacturers recommended usage rates for safety
- Always make sure that the essential oils you are using is skin/body safe
- Essential oils are natural, it is extracted directly from plants and usually has some medicinal benefits. But always remember just because it occurs naturally, it is not always good for your skin, some essential oils have very good benefits but can only be used for aromatherapy purposes and should not be used on skin. Others can be used on skin, but at very low usage rates – always do research to determine skin safety and usage rates.
- Always be cautious for skin sensitivities.
- Unlike in cold process soaps, essential oils don’t have any affect on the behaviour of the soap as you work with it.
- Certain essential oils with affect the colour of your soap as some are dark yellow, others have a greenish tint etc.